The west facade of the Basilica of Saint-Sernin in Toulouse seen from the place Saint-Sernin, its Romanesque portal between two low flanking towers under a brick upper wall

Toulouse

Toulouse keeps the tomb of Saint Saturnin, its first bishop, under the largest Romanesque church in France, and the relics of Thomas Aquinas.

France 🌍 Europe
🌍 Country
France
⛪ Diocese
Metropolitan Archdiocese of Toulouse
🗺️ Coordinates
43.6084, 1.4420

A street in the middle of Toulouse is named for a bull. The rue du Taur runs north from the Place du Capitole, and it follows the line of the Roman cardo along which, in 250, the body of Saturnin was dragged. He was the city's first bishop. Summoned to sacrifice to Jupiter at the Capitolium, he refused, and the priests tied him by the feet to the animal prepared for the altar and drove it out of the city. Two young women, remembered as the saintes Puelles, buried what the bull left. Taur is Occitan for bull, and the church that marks the spot is Notre-Dame du Taur.

Three hundred metres further north is the grave. The Basilica of Saint-Sernin — Sernin is the Occitan form of Saturnin — is the largest Romanesque church preserved in France: brick above, stone below, an octagonal tower of five storeys standing over ground that was a cemetery outside the Roman walls. Its ambulatory is a circuit of reliquaries, and an inventory of 1246 counted about two hundred bodies of saints in it. Pilgrims walking to Santiago de Compostela made the city a stage on the Arles road, and in 1998 the basilica was inscribed with them, as a component of the World Heritage listing Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France.

Toulouse carries a second pilgrimage, some 560 m south of the first. Dominic de Guzmán founded the Order of Preachers here in 1215, in a house on what is now the place du Parlement. The brick church the Dominicans built, the Couvent des Jacobins, holds the bones of Thomas Aquinas under its altar — sent north from Italy by a pope who had been a student in the city.

📜 History & Spiritual Significance

Saturnin enters the record as the first bishop of Toulouse. Tradition sends him from Rome under Pope Fabian to preach in Gaul; the Passio sancti Saturnini, the earliest account of his death, supplies the rest. The Capitolium where he refused to sacrifice stood on what is now the Place Étienne-Esquirol. The Passio gives the date of the martyrdom as 29 November 250, in the persecution under the emperor Decius, and the bull became the saint's emblem. The text is a liturgical one, known through an eleventh-century manuscript of the abbey of Moissac, and the year it names is the received tradition rather than a proven date.

Where the first grave lay is argued over. Excavations at Notre-Dame du Taur in 1969 and 1970 turned up no paleo-Christian sanctuary; the Christian necropolis north of the Roman gate, the ground the basilica occupies, has its own claim. What the sources agree on is that a bishop named Hilaire raised a martyrium over the body in the first half of the fourth century, and that a second and larger sanctuary followed early in the fifth, built by the bishops Silve and Exupère. Exupère is documented in office by 405. He placed Saturnin's body in a marble tomb, a translation the church later commemorated on 1 November. The cult grew loud enough to be attacked: the quarrel between Vigilantius and Jerome over the veneration of martyrs, in 404 to 406, was fought partly over what was happening at Toulouse.

A community of canons living under the Rule of Saint Augustine is documented at the church by the ninth century, and in 844 Charles the Bald confirmed its immunity, along with that of the cathedral and of La Daurade. Saint-Sernin was an abbey of Augustinian canons rather than a monastery of monks — a distinction that shaped its long argument with the counts and the bishops of the city over who governed it.

The Romanesque basilica was begun in the early 1070s on the site of the fifth-century church, and Pope Urban II consecrated it on 24 May 1096. He was in Toulouse to recruit Count Raymond IV of Saint-Gilles for the First Crusade. Building went on into the late thirteenth century, which is why the nave and the tower do not quite belong to one campaign. The nave runs eleven bays and 115 m; the barrel vault carries to 21.10 m, and the transept measures 64 m from north to south. In the axial chapel is a marble Christ in Majesty carved by Bernard Gilduin around 1090. The radiating chapels hold seventeenth-century reliquary cupboards, and the walk around them — the tour des corps saints — is the circuit medieval pilgrims made. Saint-Sernin was placed on the first French list of historic monuments in 1840, and it holds the rank of minor basilica.

The third of the churches Charles the Bald named in 844 stands on the Garonne, 845 m south of Saint-Sernin. Notre-Dame de la Daurade was founded in the fifth century on the ground of a temple of Apollo, and its name comes from deaurata, gilded, for the gold-ground mosaics of the first church. Benedictines held it from the ninth century. The building was pulled down and raised again at the end of the eighteenth century, and it keeps a Black Virgin whose robes have been made by couturiers, among them Jean-Charles de Castelbajac.

The second great thread begins in 1215. On 25 April of that year Pierre Seilhan, a magistrate of the Count of Toulouse, gave Dominic de Guzmán his house near the old Gallo-Roman wall; the deed survives in the French National Archives. Pope Honorius III confirmed the Order of Preachers the following year. The friars bought land for a convent in 1229 with a gift from the capitoul Pons de Capdenier and began building in 1230. Their first church was deliberately poor: a low brick rectangle with a flat east end and a timber roof, nowhere higher than 13.60 m. Three campaigns of enlargement followed, in 1245 to 1252, in 1275 to 1292, and through the fourteenth century, when Cardinal Guillaume-Pierre Godin paid for the nave to be rebuilt.

The apse carries the vault the city knows as le palmier, the palm tree: twenty-two ribs springing from a single column twenty-eight metres high and spreading across the ceiling. The first Mass under it was sung on 2 February 1292 by Bertrand de Montaigu, abbot of Moissac. Nobody knows who designed it. The brick cloister went up between 1306 and 1309, and the church was consecrated on 22 October 1385 under the name of Saint Thomas Aquinas.

Thomas had died at the Cistercian abbey of Fossanova in Italy in 1274, and was buried there. In 1369 Pope Urban V ordered the body moved to Toulouse. Urban had studied at the university here; the transfer answered the awkwardness that the city where the order was founded held no relic of its founder, Dominic's own body being at Bologna. The Dominicans of Paris and the Cistercians of Fossanova both fought the decision. Urban is reported to have called the Toulouse church the most beautiful among all those of the Friars Preachers — a judgment often repeated, though it quotes a pope rather than measures anything.

When the Revolution expelled the Dominicans in 1791 the relics of Thomas were carried to Saint-Sernin, where they stayed for the better part of two centuries. On 21 October 1974, the seventh centenary of the saint's death, they were brought back to the Jacobins and laid in a new reliquary beneath the high altar. The skull has been kept apart since that return. A fresh reliquary was made for it around the seven hundredth anniversary of the canonisation in 2023, and in 2025 the skull was restored and shown in Toulouse before travelling to the Philippines.

☩ Pilgrimage Sites in Toulouse

Basilica of Saint-Sernin

Basilique Saint-Sernin

The largest Romanesque church preserved in France, built of the pale brick and the stone the region gives, over the grave of the city's first bishop. The plan is the pilgrimage plan: a long nave with double aisles, a wide transept, an ambulatory and radiating chapels, all of it laid out so that crowds could move around the relics without interrupting the office. Saturnin's body rests in the crypt, a Gothic rebuilding of the primitive fourth- and fifth-century one. Above it, the ambulatory holds the reliquary cupboards of the tour des corps saints. The basilica is a component of the UNESCO listing Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France, and it is a station on the Via Tolosana, the Arles road to Santiago.

Address 13 place Saint-Sernin, 31000 Toulouse GPS 43.608382, 1.441970 Map Google Maps Web basilique-saint-sernin.fr

Church of Our Lady of the Taur

Église Notre-Dame du Taur

A southern Gothic church of a single nave, wedged into the frontage of the rue du Taur on the axis between the Capitole and the basilica. Tradition puts it on the exact spot where the bull let go of Saturnin's body, and a martyrium is said to have been built here in the late fourth century. The present building is fourteenth to sixteenth century. Its west front is a clocher-mur, a flat brick wall pierced for its bells, and it rises straight out of the street with no square in front of it. The church belongs to the parish of Saint-Sernin, and the vigil of the feast of Saint Saturnin begins here.

Address 12 rue du Taur, 31000 Toulouse GPS 43.605631, 1.443041 Map Google Maps Web basilique-saint-sernin.fr

Church of the Jacobins

Église des Jacobins

The conventual church of the Dominican friars, begun in 1230 and built entirely of brick — the leading monument of the gothique méridional, the Gothic of the French south, which builds wide and low where the north builds high. Two naves run side by side under a line of central columns; the last of them, in the apse, opens into the twenty-two-ribbed palmier. The relics of Thomas Aquinas lie under the altar, and the cathedral parish celebrates Mass at the tomb. The complex belongs to the City of Toulouse and is run as a monument, with the fourteenth-century cloister, the chapter hall and the refectory open alongside the church.

Address Allée Maurice Prin, 31000 Toulouse GPS 43.603479, 1.440226 Map Google Maps Web jacobins.toulouse.fr

Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade

Basilique Notre-Dame de la Daurade

A Marian basilica on the right bank of the Garonne, on ground that held a temple of Apollo. The gold-ground mosaics of the fifth-century church gave the place its name, from deaurata, gilded. Benedictine monks held it from the ninth century; the medieval building came down at the end of the eighteenth and the present one went up in its place. Inside is a Black Virgin, dressed in robes made for her by couturiers — Jean-Charles de Castelbajac among them — and carried through the city on her feast.

Address Quai de la Daurade, 31000 Toulouse GPS 43.600936, 1.439850 Map Google Maps

Seilhan House

Maison Seilhan

A little over a kilometre south of the Jacobins, on the place du Parlement, the house Pierre Seilhan gave to Dominic de Guzmán on 25 April 1215. The Dominican Province of Toulouse lists it among its holy places, and the order counts it as its cradle. The building backs onto the line of the old Gallo-Roman wall. It later housed the tribunal of the Inquisition, from the thirteenth century to the sixteenth; in the middle of the seventeenth a small priory was set up in it and the judgment hall was turned into a chapel, its coffered ceiling painted by Balthazar-Thomas Moncornet with scenes from the life of Dominic. The house belongs to the Institut Catholique de Toulouse, and access is limited — arrange a visit with the Institut or with the Dominican Province before coming.

Address 7 place du Parlement, 31000 Toulouse GPS 43.593977, 1.443821 Map Google Maps Web ict-toulouse.fr

🕯️ Annual Feast Days & Celebrations

Feast of Saint Saturnin — 29 November

The patronal solemnity of the basilica, kept on the day of the martyrdom. If 29 November falls on a Sunday the feast moves to the Monday. On the weekend before it, the tomb in the crypt is opened for free veneration. On the evening before the feast, solemn Vespers are sung in Gregorian chant at Notre-Dame du Taur, on the ground where the bull dropped the body; the relics of Saint Saturnin are then carried in procession up the rue du Taur to the basilica, where the Archbishop of Toulouse presides at a solemn Mass sung by the Schola Cantorum of Saint-Sernin. On the morning of the feast, Gregorian Lauds are sung at the tomb and a Gregorian Mass follows. The shrine publishes the programme for the current year.

Feast of Saint Thomas Aquinas — 28 January

The Archbishop of Toulouse presides at a solemn Mass at the Couvent des Jacobins, at the altar above the saint's relics, and afterwards the relics are carried in procession through the cloister. Where the day falls awkwardly in the working week the Dominican community has sometimes anticipated the Mass to the preceding Saturday; that is a pastoral arrangement rather than a rule, so pilgrims should check the diocesan calendar.

Welcome for pilgrims to Compostela — April to October

Between 1 April and 31 October a volunteer of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques en Occitanie keeps a desk inside the basilica for pilgrims halting at Toulouse on the Via Tolosana, stamping credenciales, advising on hostels and the stages ahead, and pointing walkers to the road out of the city. The association also issues the credential to those setting out.

🛏️ Where to Stay

La Petite Auberge de Saint-Sernin (pilgrim hostel) — A short walk from the basilica and the Place du Capitole, in the rue d'Embarthe. Fifteen rooms of four to eight bunks, each with a kitchenette, and one women's dormitory. The founder opened it wanting to reproduce in Toulouse the welcome he had met in pilgrim lodgings on the road, and the house addresses itself to walkers on the way to Compostela and to cyclists on the Canal des Deux Mers. Booking is direct. Website

Hôtel St Sernin ⭐⭐⭐ — Seventeen rooms at 2 rue St Bernard, facing the basilica, with some windows looking straight at it. The closest conventional hotel to the shrine, and a natural base for the first stage of the Via Tolosana out of the city. Private parking, with a height limit. WebsiteReserve this hotel

Boutique Hotel Villa du Taur ⭐⭐⭐⭐ — Seventeen modern rooms at 62 rue du Taur, on the street the martyr was dragged along, between the Place du Capitole and the basilica. Twenty-four-hour reception and a buffet breakfast in season. WebsiteReserve this hotel

Le Grand Balcon ⭐⭐⭐⭐ — Forty-seven rooms at 8-10 rue Romiguières, on the Place du Capitole, a short walk from the basilica. The house is a listed monument of the 1930s and was the hotel of the Aéropostale pilots; Mermoz and Saint-Exupéry slept in it between mail flights. Website

No monastery or convent in Toulouse lodges pilgrims: the Jacobins is a city-run monument with no guest quarters, and no diocesan pilgrim house was found.

🚗 Getting There

By Air: Toulouse-Blagnac (TLS) lies 9 km from the city centre. Tram line T2 ends at the airport and runs into the city in about 35 minutes, roughly every twenty minutes. An airport shuttle connects the terminals with the Toulouse-Matabiau railway station in 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the traffic.

By Train: Gare de Toulouse-Matabiau is the hub of the regional network. High-speed TGV services run from Paris by way of Tours and Bordeaux, as TGV inOui and as the low-cost Ouigo, both over the high-speed line as far as Bordeaux; a second TGV route links Toulouse with Montpellier and Lyon. Intercités trains run from Paris by way of Vierzon and Limoges, and along the Bordeaux–Toulouse–Montpellier–Marseille axis; there is an overnight Intercités de Nuit from Paris by way of Souillac. Metro line A calls at Marengo-SNCF, joined to the station concourse by an underground passage.

By Car: Four autoroutes meet at Toulouse: the A61 from Narbonne and the Mediterranean, 148 km; the A62 from Bordeaux; the A64 from Bayonne by way of Pau and Tarbes; and the A68 from Albi, 62 km. The city's ring road links them. All four are tolled outside the ring.

Local Transport: The four churches of the centre stand within 850 m of one another, and the walk between them is the shortest way: Saint-Sernin to Notre-Dame du Taur is 318 m, Notre-Dame du Taur to the Jacobins 330 m, and the Jacobins to the Daurade 284 m.

On Foot: The Via Tolosana, waymarked as the GR 653, passes through the city — 750 km from Arles to the Pyrenean crossing at Somport, and the southernmost of the four French roads to Santiago.

📚 Further Reading

Books:

G. K. Chesterton. Saint Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox — The classic short life of the saint whose relics rest at the Jacobins, written in 1933 and praised by Étienne Gilson as the best book on Aquinas. The most accessible single volume for a pilgrim who wants to know the man before standing at the tomb.

Edward Feser. Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide — A clear modern introduction to Aquinas's philosophy and theology, for the reader who wants more argument than Chesterton's sketch offers. (Oneworld)

Online Resources:

UNESCO World Heritage: Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France — The official inscription page for the listing of which Saint-Sernin is a component.

Chemins de Compostelle: Basilique Saint-Sernin — The French Compostela paths association's page on the basilica as a World Heritage component.

Saint Saturnin et la basilique Saint-Sernin : secrets d'histoire à Toulouse — The archdiocese's own account of the martyr and his church, on the Diocèse de Toulouse channel. In French, 6 minutes.

Pèlerinage à Saint-Sernin de Toulouse | Sanctuaire(s) — An episode of the "Sanctuaire(s)" series on the pilgrimage to the basilica, from Le Jour du Seigneur, the Catholic programme broadcast on France 2. In French, 6 minutes.

Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas - l'église des Jacobins — The feast of 28 January filmed inside the Jacobins, on the Order of Preachers' own channel. English narration, 5 minutes.

Les chemins de Compostelle à Toulouse, clef n° 2 : Les reliques — A short official explainer from the City of Toulouse on the relics of the city as a key to its place on the road to Compostela. In French, 1 minute.

Basilique Saint-Sernin — The parish site for the basilica, its crypts and Notre-Dame du Taur, with the programme of the Saint Saturnin solemnity.

Couvent des Jacobins — The City of Toulouse's site for the church, the cloister and the refectory.

Paroisses Cathédrale Toulouse: Les Jacobins — The parish page for the liturgy at the tomb of Saint Thomas, and the contact form for pilgrim groups wanting Mass there.

Les Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques en Occitanie — The association that keeps the pilgrim desk in the basilica and issues the credential. In French.

Archdiocese of Toulouse — Diocesan news, the calendar and the parish directory. In French.

Toulouse Tourisme — The city tourist office, in English.

🥾 Pilgrim Routes

Via Tolosana — the Way of Arles (GR 653) — The southernmost of the French roads to Santiago de Compostela, running 750 km from Arles through Toulouse to the Pyrenean crossing at Somport. Toulouse is a waypoint on it, and the Basilica of Saint-Sernin is the station the route is remembered for. The Latin name of the road is the Latin name of the city, Tolosa. The trail is waymarked as the GR 653 for its whole French length.

🧭 Nearby Pilgrimage Destinations

Rocamadour (133 km north) — The clifftop sanctuary of the Black Madonna above the Alzou gorge, a medieval pilgrimage of the first rank.

Lourdes (134 km west-southwest) — The Marian apparition shrine in the Pyrenean foothills, where Bernadette Soubirous saw the Virgin at the grotto of Massabielle in 1858.

Conques (134 km northeast) — The abbey village on the Via Podiensis, keeping the gold reliquary statue of Sainte Foy.

Brive (171 km north) — A Corrèze pilgrim town and the gateway to the shrines of the Dordogne.

Manresa (212 km south) — The Catalan town of the cave where Ignatius of Loyola wrote the Spiritual Exercises.

Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges (95 km southwest) — A cathedral and former bishopric on the Via Tolosana in the Pyrenean foothills, with the shrine-tomb of Saint Bertrand de l'Isle.

🪶 Closing Reflection

Thomas Aquinas spent his life in the schools of Naples, Paris and Cologne, and he never came to Toulouse. He was carried here ninety-five years after his death, by the order of a pope who had sat in its lecture rooms as a boy. The city that gave the Order of Preachers its first house received, in the end, the friar whose arguments the order carried across Europe.

"Philosophy has no part which he did not touch finely at once and thoroughly."

Pope Leo XIII, Aeterni Patris, 1879

🧭 More in France

Jump to Section