The arms of the city of Lugo carry a chalice and a host, and under them the line Hic hoc mysterium fidei firmiter profitemur — here we firmly profess this mystery of the faith. Galicia took the same emblem onto its own arms. Inside the Roman wall that rings the old town, on the high altar of the cathedral, the Blessed Sacrament is exposed day and night, which is why Galicia calls Lugo the Ciudad del Sacramento, the City of the Sacrament.
The cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of Lugo and the shrine the diocese calls its own santuario por excelencia. It sits on the Camino Primitivo, the route Alfonso II of Asturias took to Compostela when word reached him that the tomb of St James had been found. Pilgrims come into the city through the Porta Miñá gate in the wall, pass the cathedral, and leave along the river toward San Romao da Retorta.
A second devotion works alongside the first. Off the ambulatory, in a chapel of Galician Baroque, is Nuestra Señora de los Ojos Grandes — Our Lady of the Big Eyes — a polychrome stone Virgin and Child, patroness of the city and of the diocese, named for the size of her gaze.
📜 History & Spiritual Significance
The Diocese of Lugo holds that the faith reached the Roman Lucus Augusti in the second half of the first century, and names San Capito, a disciple of St James the Greater, as its first bishop; his effigy is on the main façade and in the choir. The diocese rests the tradition on a document of the last third of the sixth century, the Capitula Martini, and on the 117 churches dedicated to St James across its territory. Of the earliest church nothing is recorded until Bishop Odoario restored the building in the middle of the eighth century. A diploma of Alfonso II, dated 27 March 832, describes that Odoarian cathedral as so beautiful that the king took it for the model of his own cathedral at Oviedo.
The building a pilgrim walks into was contracted in 1129. Bishop Pedro III, his chapter and the notables of the city engaged the master builder Raimundo de Monforte to raise a new church in the Romanesque manner, and the work was finished in 1273. Later hands added the ambulatory, the cloister on the south side, the bell tower to the north, the chapels and the neoclassical west front. From the Romanesque work the north portal keeps a carved pendant of the Last Supper, St John asleep on Christ's breast, beneath a Pantocrator in a mandorla. The walnut choir of Francisco de Moure, completed in 1624, sits in the central nave — the only Galician cathedral that keeps its choir there.
The exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on the high altar is described by the diocese as kept from time immemorial, and tradition traces it to the Suevic period, to the time of King Theodemiro, when a council at Lugo is said to have set a eucharistic sign at the centre of the chief church of Galicia. The documented record starts later. On 1 March 1669 the Kingdom of Galicia instituted the Ofrenda del Reino de Galicia al Santísimo Sacramento and gave 30,000 ducados toward the dignity of the exposition. In 1860 Pius IX attached a plenary indulgence to it. In 1867, after Bishop José Ríos Lamadrid had been to Rome, the same pope made the indulgence perpetual and obtainable on any day of the year by a pilgrim who confesses, receives communion, prays for the intentions of the pope, and adores the exposed Sacrament for an adequate space of time, closing with the Lord's Prayer and the Creed. The Apostolic Penitentiary renewed the grant by decree on 10 October 2016. Local press has called the privilege unique in the world, comparable only to the Pardon of Assisi; that reading is the newspaper's own, and no Roman document consulted makes the claim.
Three things fell in the year 1896. Lugo hosted the II Congreso Eucarístico Nacional that August. The cathedral was raised to the rank of minor basilica by the bull Inter Ceteras — the diocese names the bull, and no source consulted names the pope who issued it. And on 15 August, Bishop Benito Murúa y López consecrated the cathedral, confirming in the Acta de Consagración its dedication to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and transferring the office of the dedication to 30 August.
The author of the patroness's carving is unknown and its date is disputed: some attributions place the image in the twelfth century, though the diocese thinks its making more probably late fourteenth or early fifteenth, and holds that the present figure replaced one or more earlier ones. Alfonso X gave her his Cantiga LXXVII, which tells of a woman crippled in her hands and feet who was healed at the Virgin's feet inside the cathedral of Lugo. The diocese also carries a tradition that St Pedro de Mezonzo composed the Salve Regina before this image, connecting the name of Our Lady of the Big Eyes to the antiphon's illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte — turn those merciful eyes toward us. The authorship of the Salve Regina is debated among scholars. The image was canonically crowned on 15 August 1904 and received the gold medal of the city on 15 August 1954.
The chapel that holds her was commissioned by the chapter on 6 October 1725 from Fernando de Casas y Novoa, the architect of the Obradoiro front at Santiago. Bishop Santa María Salazar laid the first stone on 7 December 1726. Building and decoration ran to 1736, the retablo carved by Miguel de Romay and gilded by Miguel Antonio García de Bouzas. It is counted among the finest Galician Baroque.
San Froilán, patron of the city, was born in the first half of the ninth century in the Lugo district of Regueiro dos Hortos and became bishop of León. His seventeenth-century chapel in the cathedral holds his image by Francisco de Moure, and the treasury keeps his reliquary together with the crown of the patroness. Much of what the treasury held before was lost in the Napoleonic sack of 1809. Spain declared the cathedral a monumento histórico-artístico on 3 June 1931, and UNESCO inscribed it in 2015 among the properties of the Routes of Santiago de Compostela in Northern Spain.
☩ Pilgrimage Sites in Lugo
Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Mary of the Assumption
Catedral Basílica de Santa María da Asunción
The cathedral, dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is the seat of the Diocese of Lugo and the principal shrine of the diocese. Its defining feature is the permanent exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on the high altar, tended without interruption. The Baroque chapel of Our Lady of the Big Eyes opens off the ambulatory and holds the polychrome stone image of the patroness; the chapel of San Froilán holds the image of the city's patron by Francisco de Moure. The Diocesan and Cathedral Museum occupies the cloister, the chapter room and the triforium within the same complex, with its reception on the western façade.
Chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Capela do Carme
A chapel of transition from Baroque to Neoclassical, built in five phases between 1778 and 1820 to plans by the master builder Fulgencio Durán. It stands on the site of the former hermitage of Nuestra Señora del Camino, at the foot of the old Roman road in the Carmen quarter at the edge of the walled city, directly on the Camino Primitivo. The sixteenth-century image of the Virgin of the Way presides in the main retablo. Its feast is 16 July.
Church of Saint Lazarus of the Bridge
Igrexa de San Lázaro da Ponte
A single-nave rectangular church of dressed granite, roofed in slate, with a double-bell gable (espadaña) and a main retablo on estípites. It sits beside the river Miño in the San Lázaro neighbourhood, facing the Blanco Amor viewing point, about a kilometre and a half downhill from the cathedral, where the Camino Primitivo leaves Lugo. Recent decades have brought it repeated renovation.
Convent of Saint Dominic
Convento de Santo Domingo
A Dominican house on the Camino Primitivo inside the Roman walls, a short walk north of the cathedral, combining Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque work. The church was founded on land that Bishop Rodrigo Martínez gave to the friars during his episcopate of 1300 to 1306. The community weighed heavily in the religious and cultural life of the city.
🕯️ Annual Feast Days & Celebrations
The Assumption and the Feast of Our Lady of the Big Eyes — 15 August
The patronal solemnity of the cathedral and the feast of the diocesan patroness fall on the same fixed day. A solemn Mass is celebrated in the cathedral, presided by the Bishop of Lugo, with the municipal representatives attending. A novena to Our Lady of the Big Eyes is prayed in the cathedral from 7 to 15 August, and diocesan groups make the pilgrimage into the city to join it.
Ofrenda del Reino de Galicia al Santísimo Sacramento — the Sunday after Corpus Christi
The date is moveable, falling on the Sunday that follows the Solemnity of Corpus Christi. The regidores of the seven historic cities and provinces of the former Kingdom of Galicia present the offering to the exposed Sacrament, and the duty of presenting it rotates among the Galician dioceses. A eucharistic procession through the streets closes the day. The Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela, the Bishop of Lugo and the civil authorities attend; in recent years the president of the Xunta de Galicia has been among them. The offering was instituted on 1 March 1669, when Galicia was a kingdom within the Spanish crown, and the ceremony keeps that historical title — the one institutional act in which Galicia is addressed as a kingdom. The Xunta de Galicia declared it a Bien de Interés Cultural of immaterial heritage by Decreto 49/2025 of 23 June 2025.
Anniversary of the Dedication of the Cathedral — 30 August
The cathedral was consecrated on 15 August 1896 by Bishop Benito Murúa y López, who transferred the office of the dedication to 30 August. The anniversary is kept on that date.
Feast of Saint Froilán — 5 October
The liturgical feast of the patron of the city. A solemn Mass is celebrated in the cathedral, presided by the Bishop of Lugo, and the municipal corporation makes its offering to San Froilán. Around the feast the city holds the Fiestas de San Froilán, spread across roughly the first two weekends of October: honey and pottery fairs, livestock shows, music, and a children's programme. The festival dates to 1754. Galicia and Spain have both designated the festival one of tourist interest. A pilgrim who wants a quiet cathedral should pick another week, and one who wants the city at full volume should come now.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel — 16 July
The patronal feast of the Capela do Carme, at the edge of the walled city on the Camino Primitivo.
🛏️ Where to Stay
Albergue Nazaret (pilgrim hostel) — A pilgrim hostel of religious character opened in 2024 and run by the Siervas de San José, a few steps from the Roman wall and the cathedral and directly on the Camino Primitivo. Dormitory beds; reservations are taken by telephone and email through the community. Website
Hospedería San Froilán ⭐⭐ — A budget establishment in central Lugo listed on the Camino Primitivo, 400 m from the cathedral and 150 m from the Roman wall, a short walk from the bus and train stations. Website
Exe Puerta de San Pedro ⭐⭐⭐ — A modern hotel beside the Roman walls, on the Camino Primitivo, within the perimeter of the old town and about fifteen minutes on foot from the train and bus stations. Website ∙ Reserve this hotel
Hotel Los Olmos ⭐⭐ — A family-run hotel at the entrance to the city, 2.5 km from the walled old town, with a restaurant, a garden terrace and free private parking. Practical for pilgrims arriving by car. Website ∙ Reserve this hotel
The Xunta de Galicia also keeps a public pilgrim albergue in the old town for holders of the credential. It takes no reservations.
🚗 Getting There
By Air: Lugo has no airport of its own. The nearest are Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) and A Coruña (LCG), both under 75 km away. Monbus links Santiago airport to Lugo; Arriva runs the A Coruña connection.
By Train: Renfe reaches Lugo by connection rather than by a single through-line from most of Spain. Direct services run from Santiago de Compostela and from A Coruña. From Madrid the usual route changes at Ourense, roughly four hours in total; from Barcelona, roughly nine.
By Bus: ALSA runs direct long-distance coaches to Lugo from Madrid, in about six and three-quarter hours, and from Barcelona and Seville. Monbus covers the Santiago corridor and Arriva the route from A Coruña.
By Car: From Madrid the A-6 motorway runs about 500 km to Lugo. From Santiago the link is the A-54 motorway, leaving at junction 86, with the older N-634 running parallel to it.
On Foot: Lugo is a stage town on the Camino Primitivo, which runs 311 km from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela. Pilgrims enter through the Porta Miñá gate in the Roman wall, pass the cathedral, and leave by the riverside path toward San Romao da Retorta.
📚 Further Reading
Books:
Joan Carroll Cruz. Eucharistic Miracles and Eucharistic Phenomena in the Lives of the Saints — A survey of Eucharistic miracles and phenomena across the Church's history, with attention to where each is venerated. TAN Books.
Dave Whitson & Laura Perazzoli. The Camino del Norte and Camino Primitivo — The Cicerone route guide to the two northern caminos, with stage notes covering Lugo directly. Third edition, 2019.
Online Resources:
Lugo, Ciudad del Sacramento — The diocese's own account of the perpetual exposition, the Ofrenda of 1669 and the plenary indulgence. (Spanish)
Acta de Consagración y Dedicación de la Catedral de Lugo — The text of the 1896 consecration and the transfer of the dedication office to 30 August. (Spanish)
🎥 Recommended Videos
The Hidden Secrets of Lugo Cathedral in Spain — A walkthrough of the cathedral from a Catholic channel, twelve minutes.
Santa Misa — Novena do Santísimo Sacramento, S. I. Catedral de Lugo — Mass from the cathedral on the diocese's own channel, during the novena to the Blessed Sacrament. (Spanish)
Camino Primitivo — Lugo — A two-minute orientation to Lugo as a stage of the Camino Primitivo.
🔗 Useful Links
Cathedral of Lugo — The cathedral's own website.
Diocese of Lugo — Diocesan site, with the histories of the cathedral, the patroness and the Ofrenda.
Diocesan and Cathedral Museum — The museum in the cloister, chapter room and triforium of the cathedral.
Camino Primitivo — Xunta de Galicia — The official Galician Camino service, with stages and pilgrim information.
🥾 Pilgrim Routes
Camino Primitivo — The oldest of the routes to Compostela, walked by the Asturian and Galician people through the ninth century and much of the tenth, and associated with Alfonso II the Chaste, the first pilgrim whose journey is recorded. It runs 311 km from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela, with Lugo roughly midway. UNESCO inscribed the route, with the Camino del Norte, in 2015.
🧭 Nearby Pilgrimage Destinations
Santiago de Compostela (82 km west) — The goal of every Camino, where the tomb of St James the Apostle lies beneath the cathedral. The Camino Primitivo ends here.
Padrón (95 km west-southwest) — Held by tradition as the landing place of the boat that carried St James, and the starting point of his preaching in Iberia.
Pontevedra (110 km southwest) — A stage of the Camino Portugués, on the Galician coast road to Compostela.
Oviedo (144 km east-northeast) — Where the Camino Primitivo begins, and where the Cámara Santa of the cathedral of San Salvador keeps the Sudarium.
Braga (175 km south-southwest, Portugal) — The primatial see of Portugal, with the sanctuaries of Bom Jesus do Monte and the Sameiro above the city.
🪶 Closing Reflection
"Because Christ himself is present in the sacrament of the altar, he is to be honored with the worship of adoration. 'To visit the Blessed Sacrament is … a proof of gratitude, an expression of love, and a duty of adoration toward Christ our Lord.'"


